Sunday, April 1, 2012

30 Days of Autism Awareness in April - 365 Days A Year in My Home

Hello Aspierations Friends,

I have missed writing to you SO MUCH!!



For the past two years, I have made it a goal of mine to blog at Aspierations every day in the month of April in support of Autism Awareness month.  Each year I am proud to say that I have kept my goal.

Here in 2012, I will be doing the same thing except this time around, I will also be blogging daily at Autism Empowerment.  So if you're really excited to check out my writing, be prepared for a double-dose!

If this is your first time visiting my Aspierations blog, Autism Empowerment is the name of the non-profit that my husband John and I co-founded in June of last year.  We received our 501(c)(3) status in September which makes us a tax-exempt public charity. I am currently serving as Executive Director.

Please feel free to visit our website at http://www.autismempowerment.org - We will be adding content all month long.

At this blog and also at Autism Empowerment, I will be writing about a variety of topics related to autism and Asperger's and I'm going to share a lot of personal stuff too so that you can get a better idea of what life is like from my adult Aspie perspective being married and raising two sons who happen to be on the autism spectrum as well.  

I'm not as eloquent as I'd like to be explaining verbally how I am affected by Asperger's when I talk to non-Aspies. Have you ever noticed that it's harder to correctly read social cues of others when you are really passionate or sensitive about something? Although years of practice has helped me to do a fairly good job at pretending to fit in when the situation calls for it, my preference is to try and share my perspective and experience in writing. 

The really personal stuff will be more likely to show up at this Aspierations blog than at the Autism Empowerment blog, however I can see some overlap. I will probably write with a more professional tone at Autism Empowerment and a more casual one here. Some days the same blog may be at both places.

I hope that you'll check in and see what some of my blogs are about.  I'm not guaranteeing excitement or your money back but there is always a chance if you have insomnia, you will have it no more!  :-)

Although there are 30 days of Autism Awareness in April, Autism Awareness is 365 days a year (or 366 in 2012) in my home. Yours too?  If so, come back and see if we relate.  

If not, that's okay!  We can still hang out.  I know that some of my blog readers are parents with children on the spectrum but are not on the spectrum themselves.  I know some readers are adults on the spectrum. I know some of my readers are acquaintances, friends, customers, bowling pals or complete strangers.

Some of you are just here out of curiosity or a google search gone wrong. In any case, I've been a little rusty recently pumping out the blogs but I am in the writing mood again at last so if you come here hunting for Easter eggs over the next 30 days, I'm pretty sure you'll find some eggstraordinary stuff coming soon....

If not, you can always fling some Angry Birds at me... 


but no throwing eggs please!



For those of you who do not know, Monday, April 2nd is World Autism Awareness Day.  This is a great time to show support for your favorite autism family or autism organization. Of course my favorite non-profit Autism organization is Autism Empowerment.  If you're in the position to be able to donate financially and you feel inclined to do so, we really could use your support and would be quite grateful for your generosity.

Autism Empowerment
P.O. Box 871676
Vancouver, WA  98687

The four foundational pillars of our organization are Accept, Enrich, Inspire, Empower.

We spread Autism Awareness, Acceptance and support today and every day! It is not just about awareness but about showing acceptance... social acceptance to others, internal acceptance for ourselves. Acceptance does not mean that we don't strive for more for ourselves or our loved ones on the spectrum. In fact, I believe that when we accept ourselves for who we are, where we are now, we are in a much better position to enrich our lives, be inspired and empower ourselves to higher levels.

So if you know someone on the autism spectrum, show your love and support. 



Until tomorrow!

Thanks!
Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment