Thursday, November 17, 2011

Aspierations Blog now has a Facebook page

Hi Aspierations blog friends!

The writing bug is hitting me again, folks.  If you check the dates of my blog postings, you'll see I come and go in streaks. I might post 20 blogs in one month and then go another two or three months with just a few.

Of course at this time of year, it's hard to find the amount of time to write that I'd like to. To pay the bills, my husband and I own an online retail business named Count Your Beans Dolls, Bears & Collectibles. From now until about the 20th of December is when we work crazy hours to try and make enough income to help carry us through during slower times.  We sell a lot at eBay and Amazon and through our website as well.  We work long hours most days but during the holiday period, it gets incredibly nuts. I'm not complaining, it's just the nature of the industry.

So here is where I have a daily dilemma in how to manage my time. John and I started up a 501(c)(3) public charity earlier this year called Autism Empowerment. This is where John and I eventually envision ourselves working full-time and if I had the financial resources, I'd be doing it full-time now.

I think about it every day and try to spend at least an hour working toward that goal. Right now we're happily unpaid volunteers but there will come a point sometime in 2012 when I believe we'll be able to start and transition. I'll be writing lots of grant proposals along the way and figuring out creative ways to fundraise, develop connections and try and partner with other organizations that have similar missions and ideals.  Of course some angel donors would help as well but I have faith that will come in time as we build our reputation and prove our credibility and integrity.

Please feel free to check out our website with the understanding that at this point, it is very bare basics, a vision in the making.  As I've mentioned previously, the four foundational pillars of Autism Empowerment are Accept, Enrich, Inspire and Empower. We will be developing and building our programs and resources upon that strong foundation.

I will be writing a separate blog for Autism Empowerment and am trying to figure out the best venue for that. For now, it's at the website but I may have it hosted at Blogger or WordPress in the future.  Regarding Aspierations - Come As You Are, Let Your Light Shine, I will be continuing to blog here.  Although I expect some overlap in content, I will keep Aspierations separate because I still want a personal place to come and share whatever I feel like sharing at the moment.

Today in addition to playing around a bit with the backgrounds and design of the Aspierations blog, I set up a Facebook page for Aspierations - Come As You Are, Let Your Light Shine. The purpose of the Facebook page is to post little blurbs, thoughts or links during those times when I have something I want to share but don't have time to write an entire blog.

I invite you to come check it out.  It's new as of 11/17 so there aren't many "likes" yet but I hope you'll come by occasionally and if you like what you read, give me a "like".

Since I'm already requesting plugs, I just recently added a new badge to Aspierations as well. By clicking on the badge and then clicking on the BN button at the page you're taken to, you'll help the Aspierations blog move up in ranking and we'll be able to spread autism awareness, acceptance, enrichment, inspiration and empowerment to more people!  Please help us in our mission!

autismblogs.org

Thanks for stopping by!
Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment