Monday, April 25, 2011

One more week left in Autism Awareness Month for 2011

Wow, it's April 25th already? 

For those of you who are not aware, I made a commitment at the beginning of the month to post a new blog at Aspierations every day in the month of April in support of Autism Awareness month. This was something I successfully completed in 2010 and I'm proud to say that I'm on track for 2011 as well.


Since we're coming up on the end of the month, I wanted to take the time to ask you if you had any specific topics you'd like me to address or if you have any questions about me and my family?  Any areas of concern where you would like some referral links?

Although autism and Asperger's is more prevalent in boys, there certainly are a lot of women affected and a great resource for women on the spectrum is the Autism Women's Network.  The mission of the network is to provide effective support to autistic females of all ages through a sense of community, advocacy and resources.

http://www.autismwomensnetwork.org/

I have found in my seemingly countless hours of researching autism online that there are a lot of women on the autism spectrum who do a great job writing and communicating their opinions and feelings about living life on the spectrum.  You will find a lot of these women at the AWN and you will find many varying and interesting perspectives that may just make you rethink the way you look at autism in women.

Since I outed myself in my blog on January 18th, 2010 as a female adult living with Asperger's with the blog, "The Outing of A Gal with Asperger's Syndrome, What Did I Do?", I have had varying reactions from family, acquaintances and those I considered friends.

Some (the cool ones out there) have been quite supportive. Many which I sadly must confess include extended family members have chosen not to address or bring up the issue with me.  I don't know if they're in denial, if they're on the spectrum themselves, if they feel guilty or if it's just too awkward to be around me now but it certainly can be confusing and hurtful.  I suppose some attach a stigma to the "label" of autism or Asperger's however as I've said many times before, I don't let autism define me or my sons. True, autism is part of our makeup and part of our daily lives but I am not going to let it hold us back from pursuing our dreams, special interests and passions.

I would say it is because of my Asperger's (even though I did not know back then I was an Aspie) that I had the tenacity and fortitude to leave my secure Silicon Valley managerial position in an employment firm and join the Ladies Pro Bowlers Tour in my late 20s.

God doesn't make mistakes.  I sure make a lot but I believe He doesn't and whatever neurological variances that our family has, that is part of who we are. It is part of our journey and we will do our best to make the most of what we have been blessed with.  I'm not the kind of person who has ever been content to live at status quo and I don't ever want to settle when I know I can do more to make a positive difference in this world.  My children are fantastic and I want to provide them amazing opportunities to learn, play and grow educationally, emotionally, socially and spiritually.

My picture of their future may be a little different than it was a few years ago. It is ever-changing and constantly developing.  If they are happy and have a healthy sense of self-esteem, life skills, a career or passion they enjoy, a personal relationship with God, friendships, family relationships and love, all the other stuff will work itself out.

Before I go, I promised a few more Easter pictures from Easter day.  For some reason, the picture quality doesn't seem to look as good here on the blog but you'll get the general idea.  We had a fun day and everyone in our family found their Easter basket.  Thank you, Easter Bunny!











That's all for tonight, Aspierations visitors!
Until tomorrow,
Karen

2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much, Nightingale! :-) I appreciate you stopping by and checking out my blog. Hope you'll be back again soon!

    ReplyDelete