Thursday, January 13, 2011

Rob vs. Russell - Redemption Island Survivor is Coming

Hi Aspierations Fans!

John and I have been watching Survivor on CBS since Season 1.  It is rare that we miss an episode.  In fact I can remember one year that Halloween was Thursday and Justin was pretty young so we hurried to get the trick-or-treating done by 8:00 p.m. so we wouldn't miss our show!

Justin has also been around for all the Survivor seasons although admittedly, he was a little young to watch in those first few years.  Now it is a family tradition for us on Wednesday or Thursday nights (depending on which day they choose) to cut off our work, step away from our play and settle in downstairs on the living room sofa / chair / floor, viewer's choice and watch our favorite reality show from 8:00 - 9:00 p.m.

Justin has gotten into it more in the past few seasons and both John and I enjoy that he wants to take time away from the computer to share the hour with us.  When he was in 5th grade, his teacher was a huge Survivor fan too so it was fun that he could talk about the episodes with her also.

Ryan isn't particularly into the show as much as he is the theme music and learning the names of the contestants as their names appear on the screen in the opening credits.  Ryan jumps, spins and dances and he and Justin hum the theme song.  O-E-O-E-O-E-Ahh Yah....

In fact, during Survivor season, we can usually count on the theme song being played at least 2 dozen times a day in our office when Justin is home.  We encourage them to not all be in a row.

On the day after the show either John, Justin or I will read aloud Jeff Probst's blog recapping his thoughts on the previous night's escapades.  We enjoy his insights and are often amused by his revelations.

I have to say, I've been pretty darn good about watching a few episodes and then predicting winners or players that would go late in the game.  I've picked final three a few times very early on.  I think after awhile it kind of irks people if I get it right, so often I keep my predictions to myself...

Last season was sort of ho-hum for me.  Usually there are a few people I really like and at least one or two that I am rooting against.  This last group just didn't have enough zing and game-playing for me.  There were quite a few people I really disliked and two people quitting.... REALLY???  That was lame!

That's why I was thrilled to learn today from my husband John at Life and Times of John Krejcha that the upcoming Survivor season of Redemption Island would not only feature the new Redemption Island twist (I knew about that from the last reunion show) BUT it would also include the return of two Survivors who have gotten a LOT of airtime for their past play, Boston Rob Mariano and Russell (the guy who always wears a hat) Hantz or as he is known in this house, "Evil Russell".

Like 'em, love 'em or hate 'em, these are people (I almost said characters... well, they are certainly that as well) that provide a lot of sound bites, some interesting one-liners and a whole lot of drama.  They make watching fun and can be polarizing and/or mesmerizing, sometimes both in the same show.


Personally of the two, I'm a Boston Rob fan hands down.  I was one of those who was disappointed when he didn't make it along farther in his original season but really enjoyed watching him in All-Stars and seeing him again in Heroes vs. Villains.  "You're either with me or you're against me" is line that we say around this house a lot when we're joking around.

Yes, I'm one of those fans who is happy that Rob Mariano and Amber Brkich found love on a reality show and got married.  Who needs The Bachelor or Bachelorette?  Their relationship has seemed to work out so far.  They've had a couple fun stints on The Amazing Race.  Rob's been on some poker show.  The marriage was on TV.  They have two beautiful children.  I say good for them!  

I know a lot people out there may be tired with their exposure but I have always enjoyed their humor. Underneath the cocky yet confident and charming exterior from Rob, he seems like a good guy who loves his wife and kids. Nothing wrong with that!  If my husband John were to play Survivor, I think he'd play like Rob.

I really don't have too much to say at this time about Russell other than to mention that I didn't particularly like some of the lies he told during his seasons.  Play the game but don't play on the tragedies of others to try and win favor.  The story he told about pretending to be a Hurricane Katrina survivor was just unnecessary.  

To his credit in the game, the guy really did great being an idol magnet and I did appreciate that he played the game hard.  Fun to watch.  I didn't care for some of the mean stuff though.  To me, he took it a little too extreme and really didn't seem to get that he did and it is what lost him votes.  To me in this game, it's okay to get dirty but there is a line morally I would not want to cross.  For each person it's different.  I am not here to pass moral judgment.

That being said, from a psychology standpoint, it was obvious to most watching at home that the social game he thought he had was never going to win votes needed at the end.  He could use a few social skills classes and I know an Aspie who could probably assist in that area!

Any of you out there Survivor fans?  If so, who are your favorite contestants and what have been your favorite seasons?  

Hoping you have a great rest of the week!
Outwit, Outplay, Outlast!
Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment