Monday, January 3, 2011

The Kids Are Back In School -- PARTY TIME!

I suppose I should feel a little bit guilty that I enjoyed the boys heading back to school today after Winter Break...  NAH!!  ;-)  Absence makes the heart grow fonder, right?

Happy January 3rd, Aspierations Friends!

Today Justin and Ryan went back to middle school and preschool after a short (to them) and long (to us) winter holiday break.  Ryan was pretty excited.  He always enjoys the fact that the school bus picks him up in front of our house and of course he couldn't wait to tell his teacher all about getting a new BIG BOY bike from Gram and Grandpa for Christmas.


Can life get any better than a trike AND a big boy bike?

Justin was considerably less impressed about his return to 6th grade, however I think the jolting 7:00 a.m. wake-up call by Dad and subsequent, "you really need to get up now" revisit at 7:25 a.m. had something to do with it. (Justin needs to leave our house for the bus stop by 7:37 a.m. At 7:38 he's late. I'm sure on days like these, he also wishes the bus would stop in front of our house to pick him up!)

At 11:40 a.m. I wondered for a moment if something in our home was terribly wrong.  It was silent.  Then I realized that both boys were at school and I did a jig (mentally...)!  Almost 3 1/2 hours of being able to do what I wanted? Shower? Bubble Bath? Exercise? Noon-time date with the hubby? I could hardly contain myself!

So I power-worked...  Not quite the picture of romantic glee you might have been envisioning but it was satisfying nonetheless to get caught up on stuff that took 1/3 the time to do as it would have if the kids had been in the office with me.  I love them bunches but it was nice to have the office back for a few hours at least!

Now TOMORROW... I still have work to do (when do I not?) BUT John and I promised ourselves a 2 hour day date in the hot tub suite at Portland Tub & Tan.  We even have a gift certificate (courtesy of Santa) and I definitely could use a relax and recharge!  I do hope it will all work out.  If not Tuesday, then Thursday for sure. 



Well, I have to say that I feel really good about blogging 4 days in a row.  I know I did really well for a number of months last year but November and December were a bit light.  I'm eagerly looking forward to sharing substance and humor, drama and situational comedy and more about my journey as a married adult mom with Asperger's raising two sons on the spectrum.

At Facebook the other day, I posted that my goal for 2011 was blogging 260 times at Aspierations (5 times a week) and 100 times at my Count Your Beans business blog.  I realize those are not wimpy goals and I include them here as well because I want you to know that I am holding myself accountable to reaching and even surpassing those goals. Last year I blogged here 143 times. I'm pretty proud of that and in those blogs I shared a lot about myself, my family, my successes, my failures and my aspirations for Aspierations.

I was very touched to see some of my faithful Aspierations blog readers come back to visit and comment on my most recent blogs.  I realize it had been awhile and I know some of you had been checking in here periodically. I thank you for your friendship and support and will always try to respond to your blog comments.  If I don't, it may be that I didn't see them and of course, I take full responsibility for that. Just drop me a line at lettingmylightshine@gmail.com and say, "what's up?" and I'll be sure to get back with you!

I received an email today which led me to a blog post at the BraveHeart Women website.  If you're a gal and you're unfamiliar with BraveHeart women, I invite you to check them out.  It's a group of strong, motivated, kick butt kinda women. Their slogan is BraveHeart Women... for women who choose to be Inspiration in Action.  I found them last year when I was looking for a motivational pick-me-up.

Anyway, the email and subsequent visit to the blog led me to a post asking, "Do You Have a 2011 Evolution?" Not a resolution... those are EASY to make... but an evolution?  The blogger postulates that a resolution (such as the ones we make New Year's Eve) is a mechanical commitment you've got to keep, whereas evolution is a visceral commitment that keeps you.

Examples given of resolutions were:
- I'm going to lose weight.
- I'm going to make more money.
- I'm going to have less stress.

Examples given of evolution commitments were:
- I'm respecting my body.
- I'm leading with my self-worth.
- I'm trusting the process.

I found it to be excellent food for thought.  Resolutions tend to be things that we have good intentions to keep and sometimes we even do... but they can come with a price-tag such as guilt or resentment or lowered self-esteem if one fails to keep their resolution.  Sometimes overcoming one vice just leads to another.

On the other hand, making a commitment or as I would say here an "aspieration" to empower myself, to treat myself with dignity and respect and to have faith in God along the way... those things are more evolutionary.  I'm not sure how to quantify them and being an analytical sort, that may prove to be a challenge but it's something I'm willing to think through.  Although many might think of goal-setting as a natural part of successfully achieving a New Year's resolution, I think that there is a place for goal-setting with evolutionary thinking as well.

So what do you think?  Do you set New Year's Resolutions each year?  If so, what is your track record in achieving them?  What do you think about this concept of a New Year's Evolution?

When you are looking to make positive transformation in your life or to help in the lives of your children, your spouse, a friend or loved one, what sources do you go to for enrichment and empowerment?  What makes you accountable?  I'm interested to know if you're willing to share!

Wishing you a terrific rest of the week!  I'll be back again soon! Hope you will be as well!
Come As You Are --- Let Your Light Shine!
Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment