Monday, November 8, 2010

Wish Upon A Hero and Pay It Forward -- A Couple Thoughts

Although Thanksgiving is still over two weeks away, I was thinking about my life today and how much I have to be thankful for.  One of those things I am grateful for is the ability to blog and reach out to my Aspierations friends!

We are all faced with challenges and adversity but our attitude makes a huge difference in how we handle the various curve balls that life throws our way.  We may not be able to control the actions of others but we do have a choice on how we can look at things.  

Often when I start thinking about my own life challenges, I realize how much worse so many people have it.  When people face struggles and needs such as unemployment, health issues, financial issues and relationship problems here in our own country, it is often easy to push aside the painful thought of how many millions are in far greater need than we are.  

Do you ever want to help but are so caught up in your own life drama that you're not sure how to share your gifts or how to help?  

I came across a really neat website a couple years ago.  It's called Wish Upon A Hero. The idea for Wish Upon A Hero was conceived by Dave Girgenti, shortly after the September 11th attacks on New York City and the USA. The website he founded, www.wishuponahero.com came online in September 2007.  The site is an online community that allows people to help people.  Their mantra is "no wish too large, no hero too small".



It is a free site for people to use.  Everyone who registers can make up to three wishes at one time and they can grant an unlimited number of wishes.  Some wishes are huge... organ donation, mortgage payments, hefty financial needs.  Some wishes are for things like coupons or greeting cards.  Some wishes are for prayers.  

If you want to grant a wish, it's simple to do and one cool feature of the site is that you can choose to help people anonymously.  It's a great place to get the kids involved as well because a lot of people ask for cards and little pick me-ups and the handmade artwork of a child is often just what the doctor ordered.  

Here is a link to their website: http://www.wishuponahero.com/

I was going to write more tonight but it got very noisy in here about an hour ago and I haven't been able to concentrate as well as I hoped so I'll dash off this quick blog and then catch up with you guys and gals again later. 

Oh before I go, I wanted to share something else. I have a great movie suggestion for my Aspierations blog friends.  I suggest renting "Pay It Forward" from 2000 with Kevin Spacey, Helen Hunt and Haley Joel Osment.  It is a story about a young student who gets an assignment from his social studies teacher to come up with an idea to change the world and put it into action.  His idea and the theme of the movie involves what would happen if three people were given a favor and then instead of paying it back, they paid it forward?




If you see the movie or if you've already seen it, please let me know in the comments section what you think!  What do you think of the concept of "pay it forward"?  Have you tried it in your own life?  What were the results?  Personally, I find it very spiritually uplifting, encouraging and motivating. We all have gifts to give.

Thanks for visiting, Aspierations Friends!
Look forward to hearing from you soon... and hearing how you let your light shine!
Yes... even you lurkers!  I know you're out there!  Miss ya!

Karen

6 comments:

  1. Thank you for the referral to Wish Upon A Hero. My kids and I have already fulfilled our first wish. I have never seen the movie you you mentioned but it sounds very altruistic and the kind of movie that is good for families to watch together around Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jess!
    Thanks so much for your note and for stopping by Aspierations. I'm glad you had the chance to check out WUAH. There are so many ways in this world we can help others. WUAH is a way that almost anyone can get involved.

    Please let me know if you watch Pay It Forward. The movie really touched me when it came out 10 years ago. We all have gifts we can use to make a positive difference in this world.

    Hope you'll come visit again!
    Best wishes,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karen, the movie is on my top 10 list. Have you read the book? I thought your readers might be curious to know the book author has a couple PIF themed websites that give more information on real life pay-it-forwards. Its the kind of thing I thought you'd get into. The author even mentions Wish upon a Hero.

    http://www.payitforwardfoundation.org/news.html

    http://www.payitforwardmovement.org/

    Thanks for your blogs. My daughter has autism and I am probably somewhere on the spectrum too. I'm sure my wife thinks so. I like coming back to your blog though I almost always hang in the background. When you mentioned PIF, I had to say hello and thanks for letting your light shine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Anonymous!
    Thanks so much for the links and your post. I have not read the book but I searched for it and found it on Amazon. I will put it on my birthday list along with "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo" series that another anonymous blog visitor recommended a little while back. :-)

    I will continue to check out the links. Thanks again for the recommendation!

    Best wishes,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Karen, I was wondering if I could mail you some questionnaires for a research project I am doing for my school on families that have adults and children on the autism spectrum. If this is okay, what address would I send them to? Thank you for your consideration.

    Jason Adler

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Jason,
    If they are questionnaires that can be filled out via email or online, you may send the information to me at lettingmylightshine@gmail.com.

    If you are physically mailing a packet, you can send it to:

    Karen Krejcha
    P.O. Box 87043
    Vancouver, WA 98687

    Hope this helps! If you'd like to drop me a line and let me know about the project, I'd be interested in hearing more about it.

    Thanks,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete