Friday, November 19, 2010

A Little Bit of Catch Up but no Ketchup Please!

Hi Aspierations Friends!

Tonight was supposed to be Family Game Night at a local Lutheran church here in Vancouver.  We attended for the first time last month and the boys had a blast playing bingo, eating pizza and hanging out with new friends also traveling along the autism spectrum.  We were all looking forward to going again.

Unfortunately, Ryan has been sick pretty much all week.  The poor little guy has a cold and a nasty cough and being that he is so active, it's hard to keep him still long enough to rest and get his body to recuperate.  Instead of bouncing 100 times on the bed per hour, he's down to about 89.

Justin was a real trooper about us missing Family Game Night.  One of the friends in his SCIP class at school was attending and Justin wanted to hang out with him again.  I offered to watch Ry while John took Justin but Justin showed real empathy toward his brother and realized that it would be very difficult for Ryan to see Justin go without him.  As it was, there were a number of mini-meltdowns over the subject and the last thing we wanted was for Ry to get really worked up when he was already coughing.

Justin almost stayed home from school today as well. He is prone to getting earaches and generally they are such that he needs antibiotics.  We gave him some last night and we were very impressed that he wanted to go to school in the morning.  It was one of those things where we easily would have kept him home but he likes school and is ending his first trimester soon and doesn't want to miss out on the activities.  It's certainly great to hear that!

John's health seems to be pretty good.  He's been tired because of staying up late, getting up early and answering to the calls of Ryan in the middle of the night.  This week we've been doing a lot of shipping and business projects with Count Your Beans getting ready for what we hope and pray will be a successful next few weeks of holiday sales.  Shipping, inventory, lots of extra emails, lots of extra work all around, sick kids, family who needs you... trying to balance in spirituality, family, work and time for oneself to keep sane...  This time of year is really crazy for us.

I know he would like just one good night of sleeping in but unfortunately it won't be tomorrow because Justin volunteered to help at his old Cub Scout Pack's Rocket Derby for a couple hours in the morning.  Sorry, John!  If it makes you feel any better, I'm sure I'll be up too.  Nah... it doesn't really feel any better, does it?  SLEEP... now THAT would feel better.

One thing we have in common with many parents who have children on the autism spectrum is that sleep issues with their children continue periodically throughout childhood and even into adulthood.  We thought we might get a reprieve after the baby years.  Ha Ha!  Sometimes we do, sometimes we don't.  It's very unpredictable and rarely goes more than a one day stretch.



As such, it throws our sleep patterns off too. I have a terrible time falling asleep anymore unless I have some sort of nighttime melatonin or tylenol p.m. liquid.  Then the problem is that I have a difficult time waking if it is before 6 hours of sleep.  As I get older, I'm noticing my body craves more sleep.  It's sort of like I'm a teenager again except that my youthful curves are now more womanly and I have a heck of a lot more responsibility!

As far as my health goes, I honestly haven't been feeling good the last few days.  I hate talking about this kind of stuff because it feels like whining but I've had really bad headaches and dizzy spells over the past week. I'm not sure if it's related to my anemia, my lack of sleep, stress or something else but I'm trying to focus on family and work and when I can do that, I seem to be okay.  It's when I have a few moments to rest or sit down and then I try to stand up that I feel the vertigo.

But enough of that... you didn't come to my blog to hear a Debbie Downer...

The good news is that if the family is feeling up to it, we're going to try and attend the Clark County Holiday Gift Fair this weekend at the Fairgrounds.  We've never been to this before but we could use a little festivity and positive pick-me up feelings and SHHHH... don't tell the kiddos but Santa Claus is rumored to be there too!



That's one reason we're hoping and praying that Ryan will be healthy enough for us to go since the festivities are Saturday and Sunday only.  Ryan really wants to see Santa Claus. If not this time, we'll find other ways to entertain ourselves but after the busy week we've had, I want to get out of this house for a few hours and spend some quality time with the guys I adore!

Can you believe it's just 6 days (almost 5 now) until Thanksgiving?  GOBBLE GOBBLE!  Rather than counting my beans, I'd much rather count my blessings!

I do plan on blogging again before Turkey Day.  Yeah, yeah, it's my birthday too.  Ryan informed me that I have the "honor" of sitting at the head of the table on Thanksgiving.  It is one of the two days of the year (the other being Christmas) that we use our formal dining table in our dining room and I truly look forward to it.

We need to do our hand turkeys too!  Here are our ones from last year!






What are your Thanksgiving family traditions?  Please let me know!  I'd love to hear your comments!

If you haven't had a chance to check out my blog, Helping Those on the Autism Spectrum During The Holidays, I invite you to check it out and give me your feedback.  It has been well received so far but I always enjoy more input!

http://aspierations.blogspot.com/2010/11/helping-those-on-autism-spectrum-during.html

Best wishes for a wonderful weekend!
Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment