Friday, October 1, 2010

National Bullying Prevention Month Starts October 1st, 2010

Hello Aspierations Blog Visitors!
Today is Friday, October 1st and that marks the beginning of National Bullying Prevention month.  Throughout this month, I will be writing a series of articles talking about bullying and how it relates to children and adults.  I will also talk specifically how due to social skills and interpretation differences, bullying perception is often different for children and adults who are on the autism spectrum.  
I will also be providing references to other organizations which have programs in place to help promote awareness, prevention and resources to go to when one has experienced the torment of a bully.
The irony of today starting National Bullying Prevention Month does not escape me.  For the past couple of months, there has been an individual or perhaps a group of individuals who has visited the Aspierations blog and sporadically made rude, hurtful, distasteful, mean and erroneous comments about me and my family.  There were a bunch made on my September 29th blog and I sat on the delete key for quite some time before finally saying something back.  Some of the attacks have been personally degrading and embarrassing.  Some personal information was shared which was completely unnecessary.  Other comments have been against my family and my relationships (present and past) and the wonderful REAL people who have visited my Aspierations blog and spent time here with me.  
He/she/they have tried to smear my reputation.  They have tried to taint and tarnish my dreams of building Aspierations into a special place that promotes acceptance and empowerment for those on the autism spectrum, those with Aspergers and the friends and family who support and love them.  Aspierations Visitors and Friends are ALWAYS welcome here as who they are!
Please let us join together and not let bullies take away from this blog and our Aspierations to Let our Light Shine.  Are you with me?  


 


We're all on the spectrum and we're all seeking acceptance!  Say NO to Bullies!

The good news is that recently, I have started to see positive growth at Aspierations.  My 3 part blog series on Stimming was recognized on September 28th by well-respected blogger and fellow spectrum traveler and parent, Gavin Bollard from "Life With Aspergers".   After Gavin's recommendation on his blog, Aspierations received a number of new visitors and I am very grateful.
If curious later, here are the links to the Series I wrote in late September 2010:
I have noticed new visitors commenting on blogs I wrote many months ago and other visitors becoming aware of my recent writing.  I want to let you know that despite anyone trying to bring me down, I will not stop writing.  I can't guarantee you that you'll always find it interesting, funny, relevant, relatable or concise (especially the last part) but it will be from me, Karen Krejcha and it will come from my heart.  
I invite you to stay with me on this journey.  Are you part of an Autism or Asperger's Support Group?  Please feel free to tell them about Aspierations and give out our link!
****************************************************
To start out National Bullying Prevention Month, I am going to give you two links today to check out.  The first is a blog that my husband, John at Life and Times of John Krejcha wrote called "Bullies In Our World".  I personally think he did a great job but I know he's like to hear your feedback too, so please feel free to give him a shout out of support!
The second link I want to share is actually a press release from the PACER Center.   I have cut and paste it below.  
***************************************************************
October is National Bullying Prevention Month, a project of PACER Center. It's a time when communities nationwide can unite to raise awareness of bullying prevention by using resources at PACER.org/bullying.
"To make a significant impact on bullying, we need people across the country to take action and join the movement," said Julie Hertzog, director PACER's National Center for Bullying Prevention, which sponsors the event. "There are 160,000 children staying home from school each day for fear of bullying, but working together, we can make a difference."
Everyone can find a way to join the cause at PACER.org/bullying. Students, educators, families, and organizations can use the free, creative resources at the site to address bullying and help create a culture that no longer accepts bullying.
Nonprofits, schools, and community groups can show their support and share their efforts to prevent bullying by becoming a Partner or Champion of this cause. Organizations and a link to their website will be listed on PACER's site, along with a list of any activities or events they are planning in connection with the month. To become a Partner or Champion, contact julie.hertzog@PACER.org.
Teens can sign an online petition, tell their story at bullying411@PACER.org, start a bullying prevention committee at their school, or join the TeensAgainstBullying Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube sites. They'll find videos, blogs, and a toolkit of things they can do to address bullying at PACERTeensAgainstBullying.org.
Elementary school students can take the "Kids Against Bullying" pledge and learn how to respond to bullying at PACERKidsAgainstBullying.org. The site features animated characters, celebrity videos, games and more.
Educators and parents can find free, creative classroom activities and resources for K-12 students at PACER.org/bullying.
PACER's National Center for Bullying Prevention educates communities nationwide to prevent bullying through creative and interactive resources.
Based in Minnesota, PACER Center is a national parent center serving all youth, with a special emphasis on children with disabilities. Learn more at PACER.org or call 952-838-9000; 888-248-0822 (national toll free).
Editor: Julie Hertzog, director PACER's National Center for Bullying Prevention, is available for media interviews on bullying prevention topics.


Contact:
Julie Hertzog
1-952-838-9000
National toll-free 888-248-0822

********************************************




I will have more references on varying days throughout this month and I welcome your contributions and referrals as well.  Bullying is something that adversely impacts people of all ages and all abilities.

If you want to give a shout out to your organization, blog or group that is doing something to promote Bullying Awareness or Prevention, please feel free to drop me a line at lettingmylightshine@gmail.com. 

Thanks for stopping by, Aspierations Friends, Visitors and Supporters!  I do hope you'll visit again!

For those worried about me, I did have a very sad last couple of days but adversity makes me grow stronger. No matter who tries to bully me, no matter what is thrown my way, I will do my best to hold my head high and let my light shine!

You can't get rid of me that easily!






I HAVE NO CLUE WHY suddenly the margins have widened!  THANKS BLOGGER!



Hugs, happiness, hope and faith,
Karen

6 comments:

  1. I wasn't aware that October was National Bullying Prevention month. I'll make sure I talk to my students about it, although I did address it at the beginning of the year and they know how I feel about the subject. As a child, I experienced quite a bit of bullying and know the pain and hurt. I'm with you Karen!
    June

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi June,
    Thanks so much for your support. Your students are so lucky and blessed to have you as their teacher! Had you been my orchestra teacher when I was a child, I might have stayed with the violin a little longer! :-)

    I read your email, contemplated what you said and agree about your strategy. Thanks for providing a voice of reason when I was feeling like a ballful of emotion! You should have seen what I wanted to post but didn't.

    I'm with you too, June! :-)
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Anonymous!
    I realize I probably shouldn't have left his/her bullying comments up as long as I did but I don't know... this time it just really hit emotionally home and I had to respond.

    I got my response out. The first I was pretty proud of. The follow-up was admittedly emotionally charged.

    Thank you so much for your sticking up for me and for your compliments too. I do truly believe you're not a troll but since this jerk messed with my mind I will say to all of you out there who post anonymously that your comments are always welcome even if it is constructive criticism or opinion disagreement. I just ask that you respect me, my family and my Aspierations Friends.

    I enjoy my Anonymous Aspierations amigos and don't want any bully scaring you away either. Please stay here with me and let's fight the good fight and let our lights shine together!

    Are you with me? I hope so!

    Love,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't let 'em get you down... it seems pretty obvious to me that these rude and insulting people need to spend some time in remedial english. All of the genuine posts from true fans are articulate and intelligent... mine included. I will do my best to never make a grammatical error or typo so that you know it's me! Rude people would never scare me away. Blog on sister.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow... if you want to be insulting via your keyboard, you'd better learn how to write because you are humiliating yourself by exposing your 4th grade IQ. Your last post is full of grammatical mistakes... you should be ashamed. Take an english class or two before you comment again. Those of us with advanced college degrees would really prefer intelligent insults.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you! So glad to know you would never get scared away. I will not let 'em get me down. I may have gotten emotional yesterday but today, the delete key is my friend. The person who should be locked up by the "YOUR" police is most certainly not. :-)

    I'm pretty sure I'll know when it's you but don't worry if you make a grammatical error or typo. I don't judge that way. I look at the heart. I'm just so happy you're here! Thanks so much for your friendship, strength, wisdom, humor and encouragement. :-)

    Hugs,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete