Sunday, October 24, 2010

It's Raining, It's Pouring... but the GIANTS are Roaring!

When we moved to Washington a few years ago, we knew there would be rain.  Our family actually likes the rain but we made sure to move to a part of the state that gets some of the very least rainfall.  I do enjoy watching the rain and even walking in it but I sure hate driving in it.  That I try and avoid!

Happy Sunday, Aspierations Friends!

For my California baseball buddies, GO San Francisco GIANTS!!!!



What better time of year for the Orange and Black Attack?

If you don't know what I'm talking about, the San Francisco Giants are the 2010 National League Champions and will be playing against the Texas Rangers in the World Series next week.  I'll admit that since moving from CA to WA, I haven't watched a lot of baseball.  Even though the Mariners are up in Seattle, I still have loyalty to the SF Giants and still have my baseball cards from when I was a kid.  Of course there are some of the current team out there who could use a good shave and a haircut (I'm not a fan of beards) but hey, if it works for them and it took them this far, then who I am to complain?

For me, there will probably be no more exciting time in major league baseball than when the SF Giants and the Oakland A's matched up in the 1989 World Series.  It was the first and only time that I had tickets to play-off games and world series games.  (Fortunately I did not use my tickets during the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake although I very well had the opportunity to be there!)  Due to some savvy entrepreneurial skills, fast speed dialing and borrowing a couple credit cards from various friends and family, a very special friend (whose birthday is tomorrow, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!) and I were able to obtain quite a few sets of tickets to both the playoffs and the World Series.  

As a result, by selling our extra tickets, we attended all the games we wanted to for free, made some extra money and I also got to take my dad to a World Series game as well, something which was very big for him and an experience I'll always remember.  Additionally, we got to trade some baseball tickets for a San Francisco 49er game and that was a birthday time of the year treat too because I had never seen a professional football game before at a stadium.

Baseball is probably one of the only sports I don't mind watching rather than playing.  I highly prefer getting out in the action but there is something about a guy in a baseball or even a softball uniform... well, you know what I mean and if you don't, I'm not going to embarrass myself by explaining!  

I used to play a little softball myself and hit pretty well although no-one would ever call me wheels.  That's why it was a good thing I hit pretty well.  Didn't need to run so fast...  :-)   

When I was elementary school age, tomboy that I was, I wanted to play in little league.  My parents weren't as enthused but they humored me for one season and signed me up.  Well, I was the only girl on the team and the boys didn't want me to hit.  Granted I was bigger than most of them and could have kicked their derrieres out in kickball on the playground but when boys are together at that age, they can be a little exclusive sometimes.  After sitting out an entire game and not getting to bat, I went home crying.  I don't remember the actual tears but I assume I cried because my dear mom who rarely makes waves went and talked to the coach / person in charge and the next game they let me bat.  I remember when I got up to the plate I was SO EXCITED.  Then something very annoying happened and I remember it like it was yesterday.  The boys in the outfield moved in.  The boys in the infield moved in.  Even the pitcher took a step forward.  I was very irritated.  How DARE they think I couldn't hit?  Bad mistake on their part! The pitch came over the plate and I whacked the heck out of it.  HOME RUN, no questions asked.

That was one of those winning moments that I'd love for every child to experience.  The looks on their faces were priceless but the feeling inside of knowing what I had done was A-W-E-S-O-M-E.  I remember once I crossed home plate and went back to the dug-out being hugged by a couple of my teammates.  Incidentally, my mom never had to ask anyone to let me hit again after that.  I played the rest of the season and I batted in a very good position!

I look forward to Ryan giving baseball an opportunity.  Justin tried tee ball for a little bit of time but it wasn't for him.  At the time we didn't know he was on the autism spectrum but had we been aware, we might have been able to help him better with some of his sensory issues and physical challenges.

I think Ryan might have a bit more interest.   There is an inclusive baseball league called the Columbia River Miracle League that invites children with autism to participate and we might end up starting out Ryan in something like that.  One of Justin's friends that came to his birthday party plays in the league and his mom said that it has been a very positive experience. Who knows, we may try a regular league instead / too.  I don't want our sons' autism diagnosis to hold either boy back. I want to give them both the opportunity to find a sport or athletic activity that they can participate in and enjoy.  

Speaking of which, my little personal trainer Ryan was VERY upset when we could not go walking outside tonight.  Granted it is dark and pouring down rain but Ryan was raring to go.  Truth be told, if it were just him and me, I might have snuck a little walk around the block just to get some fresh air and keep our exercise streak going but there has been a little pandemonium around here today and with John getting a bit sick after his camping adventure over the weekend, it's probably best that everyone stay inside.  Maybe I'll walk on the treadmill a bit later.  

What kind of sports or exercise activities do you enjoy?  If you've been here for awhile, you know that I used to bowl professionally with the Ladies Pro Bowlers Tour and prior to that in college and in a variety of amateur and youth tournaments.  I also enjoyed tennis, racquetball, softball and golf.  Unfortunately I haven't really had anyone to do that stuff with for a number of years and of course other life stuff has happened but one of the goals I'm working on now is to become more active and give myself the chance to participate in healthy and fun activities again.  I'm trying to get the family involved so they can feel fit and active too.  One step at at time!!!

I'm trying to make it a point now to walk when the weather is good as I would like to get myself in better shape both for my own health and for the sake of my kiddos.  It takes a lot of energy to keep up with this crew!  Fortunately I have a little workout buddy who wants to walk every day and every evening so I have a good start!  

Time for me to get back to work.  I blogged early tonight as I didn't think I'd get a chance later and I didn't want to miss two days in a row.  As you know, this Aspierations blog is quite important to me.  It's interesting because the message in church today was all about each of us having a calling from God and each of our callings being equally important.  It was a great reminder for me to keep my focus and continue moving forward with my goals, dreams and Aspierations.

Thank you to all out there for your support.  Whether it's an anonymous post of encouragement, a silent reading of my words behind your computer, a prayer or well wish sent my way on occasion, I truly appreciate it all.  Please know that I am here for you as well.  Feel free to drop me a line at lettingmylightshine@gmail.com, leave a comment or just stop by every once in awhile to hang out.

Best wishes for a wonderful evening and great week ahead!
Let us let our lights shine!
Karen

1 comment: