Sunday, October 31, 2010

Halloween Weekend Festivities

HAPPY HALLOWEEN, Aspierations Friends & Blog Visitors!




I missed you this week.  I thought many times about writing.  Thanks so much to all of you who came to check out the Aspierations blog while I was away.  I'm back!  This was certainly a week of family "stuff" and included a tidal wave of emotions.  I seem to have a few moments here of calm waters so I'm going to see if I can sneak in a blog before evening.

In just a few hours, we will be taking the boys trick or treating around the neighborhood.  The forecast is rain but we're going to still give it a go.  Having grown up in the Silicon Valley / South Bay of CA, rain on Halloween evening is never anything I had to worry about, at least not that I recall.  Here in Vancouver, Washington we've been lucky so far and aside from a few sprinkles, we've taken the boys out successfully each year.  I'll let you know how the evening goes!




Ryan is going to be a lion this year, which is rather appropriate considering his wild body and that his Mom is a huge tiger, lion and any sort of wildcat fan.  Justin will be dressed as a skeleton.  This is the first year in awhile that John and I may not be dressing up.  I'm kinda bummed about that but I'll get over it.  Next year will be a better year as far as that goes!

We did want to make sure that the kids had a memorable Halloween weekend, so we took them to Family Friday Game night at a local Lutheran church on Friday.  This was a social event geared toward kids and teens with Asperger's or Autism / ASD.  The kids get a chance to play video games, board games and bingo and fill up on pizza, snacks and dessert.



It happens in Vancouver on the last Friday of each month except August and December.  In November, the event will be on the third Friday because of Thanksgiving weekend.  If you are in the Vancouver, WA area and want information, please let me know in the comments section or at lettingmylightshine@gmail.com and I'll be happy to pass the details along.  It only costs $5 per family plus bringing some sort of snack.  It's a great deal and an opportunity for both kids and parents to socialize.


Continuing the Krejcha family's streak of lucky BINGO wins, both Justin and Ryan were the first two winners of the night.  Ryan chose a car as his prize (SURPRISE! :-D) and Justin chose a pumpkin that lights up.

They even got to take turns being callers and did an awesome job.


On Saturday, the First Church of God in Vancouver, WA hosted an amazing sensory themed "The Great Pumpkin Party" for kiddos with special needs and their families.

This was so much fun for the boys!  It was only two hours long but Justin and Ryan were able to get through lots of activities during that time including bouncing on the inflatables, playing with shaving cream, play dough and rice, trick-or-treating, playing games for prizes and munching on popcorn.  

Here are a few pictures from the event!  I have about 90 on Facebook so if you're interested in seeing those, just drop me a line or send me a friend request on Facebook and I'll hook you up. 


Look at our new white gloves!


WHEEEEEEEE!


I want to go down the bouncy slide THIS many more times, Mom!


It's a race to the finish!







The party we went to on Saturday was free for families who had children with special needs.  It was a wonderful outreach by this particular church and we are so thankful for the opportunity to have gone.  Right now things are very lean so to give Justin and Ryan a chance at a weekend of fun games, laughter and snacks for only $5.00 was such a blessing.

I will follow up again soon to let you know how Halloween night went!  How did your Halloween weekend go?  Did you or your kids dress up?  Let me know in the comment section!

Wishing you lots of treats!!
Hugs and happiness,
Karen




No comments:

Post a Comment