Sunday, October 17, 2010

An early Monday start and a late Sunday night blog

I'm starting this blog a little early tonight as our family has an early morning Parent / Teacher / Student conference at Justin's middle school.  Since Ryan doesn't normally get picked up on the bus until after 11:30 a.m., he will be joining us.  That's not an ideal situation but finding a babysitter for a 15 minute conference at 7:50 a.m. just isn't going to happen so we'll make do.

What's the worst that could happen?  Nix that.  No negative thinking!  Granted, the thought process might lead to some future amusing anecdotes but I'd much rather come back and say that everything worked out just great and we're all moving forward positively.  

We're also going to bring the iPad for Ryan to use during the conference.  Thank goodness for that!

Do any of you out there have an iPad?  I bought John one for his birthday in late August and not only has it been a great tool for him to use (admittedly, I have a little iPad envy) but it has been AWESOME for our boys.  There are a lot of great educational apps out there that are free or under $1.00.  I'll be doing a blog in the future with some of our family's favorites thus far.  Some of them might not be what one would expect.  For example, Ryan LOVES Google Maps and it is through this application that we became more keenly aware of what an incredible visual memory he has when it comes to remembering directions to and from a location.

If you never saw my Wednesday, October 6th blog, Ryan's Amazing Visual Memory - Eidetic, Gifted, Autism?, I invite you to check it out.  There is a video there which shows a little glimpse into his ability.

I'm going to keep this one short tonight.  I know I've said that before and then 45 minutes later, I'm still writing but John has given me a deadline of 11:00 p.m., computers off.  No 3:46 a.m. blogs for me tonight!

I also want to give a quick shout-out to my 25th Google Friend and Aspierations blog follower!  25 is my favorite number, so HOORAY!  Hello and thanks for following my blog!  For the rest of you out there who are already Aspierations friends, if you aren't yet a Google Friend, please consider following me.  If you have a blog, just post the link in the comments section and I'll follow you back!  Of course if you want to stay a part of the Anonymous crew, that's cool too!  It's quite the posse!  :-)

I hope as you're reading this you're having a nice start to your week and that your weekend went well.  Ours was an incredibly emotional one with lots of highs and lots of lows, lots of passionate opinions and an equal number of passionate disagreements.  I would like to say that we all kept ourselves composed with calm voices, no interrupting, lots of respect and no meltdowns but the reality is that more than one of us had a bad day at the same time and speaking for myself, I was happy when Saturday ended and Sunday began.

In our family, we always try extremely hard to make it a point to not go to bed angry with each other.  In practicality, sometimes that is easier said than done.  Now granted, situations may not get resolved before we go to bed but if we can hug and kiss goodnight, pray for each other, pray for our family and sing a special tune, it helps take away a lot of the tension.  Meltdowns are put behind us.  The kids know Mom and Dad love them and no matter what happens, that will never change.

In our family, we are also very open about saying we are sorry.  I think it's very important to ask forgiveness from those we love when we do something wrong.  It is something we work hard to instill in our boys.  It's not just about the asking forgiveness though, it's about accepting the forgiveness and being able to also forgive ourselves.

Isn't it so much easier most of the time to forgive someone else than it is ourselves?  Yet if we're to move truly forward and not get caught in beating ourselves up, we have to do this.  We have to forgive ourselves.

It's something I ask God daily to help me with.  I know He forgives me but I pray that he helps me learn how to forgive myself better as well.   Forgiving my family is easy because I love them so much.

How do you do with forgiving?  How do you handle family conflict?  Any tips you want to share that work successfully for your family?

It's 10:59 p.m. so I need to hurry up and finish! 
Please let me know what you think!

Hugs and happiness,
Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment