Sunday, September 19, 2010

Start From Now and Make A Brand New Ending - The Rest is Still Unwritten


It's Sunday, Aspierations Friends and you know what that means, don't you?

Well, don't you??

It means that tomorrow is Monday! (It's OK.  Insert your "well, duh" here...)  I'm sure you thought I had something more exciting or profound to share than simply the day of the week.

Mondays are usually very manic around the Krejcha family household, especially during the school year.  Despite our best intentions of keeping the boys on some sort of schedule over the weekend, it often seems Monday mornings are met with a combination of anticipation, tension and a question as to if routine can be followed without too much deviation.

I'm learning to anticipate the curve ball.  Some pitches are no-brainers.  For example, there is a 68% chance that there won't be matching socks conveniently anywhere.  It doesn't matter if we put 6 pair under lock and key the night before. The World's Greatest Sock Thief will find a way to work his magic, steal single socks and leave us playing the family favorite game, "Find A Pair of Matching Socks" before it's time to leave for the bus / school / store / church / wherever we're going.  I can guarantee you that on at least 5 occasions throughout the week, adults and children in this house venture outside with mismatched socks. We try to not mix stripes with polka dots, clash colors or put knee highs with ankle socks but other than that, it's pretty much a free-for-all.  

Personally, I think the World's Greatest Sock Thief might be the Easter Bunny.  Think about it! He's good at hiding things.  With all the hopping he does, he can probably use the extra socks to keep his paws toasty.  He has a lot of time off during the year.  Rather convenient don't you think?  I don't have definitive proof yet but when I do, you'd better believe I'm going to post it!




Oh STOP taunting me, World's Greatest Sock Thief!

On this particular Monday coming up, one of us will be driving Justin to school because he has taken the initiative to ask his teacher if he could come in early and get some help with his math.  Now NONE of us here are morning people but you'd better believe when I heard my oldest son taking initiative like that so early into the school year, I had absolutely no problem setting the alarm as early as he needed.  

On the plus side, we'll be up extra early (that's not the plus part) and will be able to start in on emails, receipts and shipping for Count Your Beans, maybe even finishing a lot of the administrative stuff before Ryan heads outside to his bus and off to preschool.

Last Monday we did the administration and shipping for over 50 packages due to a recent large shipment of incoming dolls we worked on turning around.  Talk about power-working!  This Monday will be quite a bit lighter but I still want to keep the productivity high and start out the week feeling like I'm making positive strides to take care of my family.

Lately there has been a lot of stress and a lot of challenges but I am dedicating myself to make a positive effort each day to try and let the tension go, forgive the past, be proactive in the present and follow my Aspierations so that there is a bright future ahead.  

I wanted to share with you a quote I read earlier today and had never heard before.  To be honest, I'm not even familiar with the speaker although of course I googled him to try and get more information.  (That never sounds right... maybe because googling kinda reminds me of ogling and well... I don't ogle strange men online.  Not that I ogle them in person either...)

SHEESH, Karen, just share the darn quote and spare your Aspierations buddies the tangent!

Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending.  ~ Carl Bard

I often reflect upon my past and like all of us, there are plenty of chapters and a wide array of stories to think about.  I realize that what happened in my past is important because it helped shape the woman I am today.  I cherish memories of times with special people.  I revel in reliving incredibly touching moments like the birth of my children.  I delight in sensory memories such as the feel of raindrops on my skin, the taste of my Mom's cooking, the sensuality of a soft kiss, the sound of hearing, "I Love You" and loving that person back, snuggling under a warm cozy blanket, delighting in the smells, sounds, fantasies and feelings of taking a candlelit bubble bath with relaxing music (and no kiddos running in naked trying to join me in the tub).

I'll admit, I have a tendency sometimes to want to Monday morning quarterback many of my life decisions but oftentimes in order to be able to successfully move forward positively living a fruitful present and working toward an empowered future, you have to be able to let go.  You have to try and let go and give yourself over to God, a higher power. Letting go of mistakes, transgressions (by and against), self-doubt, the "if only I had done this"... it is not easy.  There are many times I had thought I had let go of certain issues only to have them resurface when some unexpected catalyst triggered an emotional response.  Sometimes you think the mystery of your history is resolved and then in comes a bombshell totally unexpected.  

I've suffered from depression and post traumatic stress disorder in my life.  I've been a survivor of some pretty horrible things, some of which I've blogged about, some of which I haven't.  So far, in every day I've lived no matter how wonderful or how turbulent it has been, the day has made its way to an end and a new day has begun.  I can meet and greet that day with hope, with love, with laughter, with ambition, with self-confidence and with high Aspierations.  I can be the optimist tiger, Tigger and have my own reality show, Tiger Island.



Alternatively, I can wake up hopeless, depressed, angry at the world, lonely, isolated, confused, anxious and spend my day trying to climb out of the quicksand.  I can be the pessimist donkey, Eeyore.  I can even put on my Aspie mask and costume, not quite sure who I am that day!




I'm not ashamed to admit that I've had plenty of Eeyore days in my life but I'd like to think that the vast majority of the days I start out wanting to be like Tigger.  Like my 4 year old can attest to, bouncing is fun.  Laughing is contagious.  Starting the day with a big smile and a hearty laugh helps turns Eeyore's frown upside down.



Trying to be a loving and wise parent to two sons on the autism spectrum with additional special needs has a lot of challenges.  So does just being a parent!  Finding out that you're an Aspie after 41 years of life is not a walk in the park either.  Marriage and love, amazing in its blessings does provide its perks but it also provides its provocations. To me it is a constantly evolving relationship which often seems like one gigantic enigma.  Changes in health, wealth, faith, trust, relationships... these things happen too.  Whether challenges are unexpected or built over time... no one ever said life was going to be easy.  

But you know what?  With every challenge that comes my way, every bullet, every road block, every shock, every missing sock, God thought I was a strong enough woman to be able to handle it all.  Imagine that!  Me of all people!  Fallible, emotional, tangential, clutzy...  In God's eyes I have grace, strength, fortitude, beauty, compassion and the potential to do amazing things.

Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending.  ~ Carl Bard

Here is another link to one of my very favorite songs.  It's called "Unwritten" by Natasha Bedingfield.  Even if you've heard it before, even if you've watched the video before, even if it's been dozens of times, humor me, do your Aspierations friend a favor and listen to it again.  You do realize that I'll know if you do or you don't.  (Kidding!) (Maybe...) Oh just listen to it anyway.  It will make you smile and give you a well deserved positivity boost!

Feel the rain on your skin...  The rest of your life is still Unwritten.  Mine is still Unwritten.  So let's have a terrific week, a positive attitude, let's be like Tigger or like a tiger if you prefer and let's write some amazing stories this week in our own lives!  Who knows, maybe we'll collaborate on something together one day. You're here now.  I'm here now. (Well, I was when I wrote this. You get my point.)  What was your reason for coming to my blog today?  What was your reason to read it all the way to the end? (Masochism is not the answer you should be shouting.) 

Whatever your reason, I'm SO GLAD you are here and that you came today as who you are.  Together, my special blog buddy, let's make our lights shine brighter than they ever have before!  







Whatever adversities you are experiencing in your life, I truly believe you can overcome them and can grow stronger.  It may take awhile to figure out how and like me, you may slip and fall at times but with a helping hand of love and faith, a hopeful heart, a smile through the tears and a laugh through the pain, you will move forward.  

I will be here at Aspierations making my way each day on my journey as you travel along yours.  If you feel like commenting, your thoughts are always welcome here in the comments section.  I can also be reached at lettingmylightshine@gmail.com

Blessings, love, the bounce of a tigger and the pounce of a tiger!
Make your Monday count!

Karen

3 comments:

  1. Hi Karen,

    Great post! As a parent of two young children I can completely relate to the crazy hetic Monday mornings.

    Look forward to reading more of your blog in the future.

    Crawford Dedman

    www.challengingminds.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Crawford!
    Thanks so much for stopping by Aspierations and commenting on my blog! :-) I hope you'll come back again!

    Thanks also to the link to your website. I like the site name and you have a lot of quality products I recommend for Aspierations visitors to check out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd always wondered who the world's greatest sock thief was. You might be onto something with the Easter Bunny theory. Your blog gives a great smile and so do you. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete