Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Last Day at Home before Middle School - Big Day Ahead!

Thanks so much for visiting the Aspierations blog, today!

The last couple of days around our home have been anything but routine.  Our oldest son, Justin (10) gets ready to start 6th grade in a new middle school tomorrow and he is incredibly excited and nervous.  I am so proud of him and I look forward to dropping him off on his first day and then hearing all about it when he gets home in the afternoon. 




If you haven't yet read in entirety my blogs about Justin's Middle School Orientation last week and Ryan's comedic hand in events, I invite you to do so below.  I guarantee part two will give you a laugh, a wince or both!



Our youngest son, Ryan (4) travels tomorrow morning with us to Beaverton for his next 2 hour session in an Autism Research & Communications study where he gets to work with a talking computer and I suppose a talking research assistant as well.  I know he'll do just fine!  (He gets to pick a prize at the end and if I were psychic, I would say, he would be picking a Hot Wheels car.  But since I'm not, I'll say a Matchbox car!)



If you read my last blog, Grandma Genevieve Walsh Advances to Heaven and Justin Advances to Tenderfoot, (click for link) you'll know that there was sad news in the family on Sunday afternoon.

John is preparing to travel back to Wisconsin for his Grandma Genevieve's funeral and to also spend a few days with his Mom, older brother, older sisters, their families and a rather large extensive family.  We got his flight reservations yesterday and he leaves at 5:30 a.m. (NOT a typo, SERIOUSLY ugh) out of Portland on Friday and returns late at night on Monday.  

It was decided that for the sake of John's extended family and also for Justin and Ryan, that I stay at home with the guys.  I respect John's decision to have some alone time away with his family and pay his respects. It's been a long time since all his family has been together at once and I hope it will be therapeutic for him to have that quality time reminiscing about his Grandma and sharing positive family memories rather than having to worry about whether we'll cause a disruption.  This is a very special and important time for him and I respect his right to grieve in his own way.  He'll be having his cell phone and the iPad with him so hopefully we'll get a chance to connect a few times.  

Although I know it will be challenging, I am confident that I can take care of things here on the home front with the boys (cereal, toast and microwave meals, yum yum), however I'll admit that not having anyone around to talk to or go to if for some reason anything happened leaves me a bit down.  There has been some Autism Isolation Syndrome (see link) going on this home for quite some time and if I'm truly honest with myself, ever since I left the Ladies Pro Bowlers Tour in 1998, I have been quite isolated socially from other adults except for John.  Thank goodness for the internet.  :-) 

But that's for another blog, another day.  For now, it's about taking care of my family and being there to support them in any way I can, emotionally, spiritually, financially and by doing things like being a good listener, a proactive parent, a fine friend and practicing forgiveness, acceptance, patience and love.

I'm going to close this blog a little early tonight since John isn't feeling well and I want to be there for him.  Our boys have a big day tomorrow as well and I'm still not used to getting up before 7:30 a.m!  I was meant for Night Owl-dom.  I'm pretty sure that the Friday morning 3:45 a.m. airport drop off with the boys in tow is going to set the pace for a Friday filled with adventure.  Yes, I'm already planning my social stories and stick figure drawings in my head now!!!

I'll try to blog a bit in the next few days.  I am not sure exactly how successful I will be at getting quiet computer time during the day but once the kiddos fall asleep (and I have lots of exciting activities planned to wear them out), I will try and check in and let you know how it is going.

Although I really don't know who comes here as most people who post are anonymous, I want to say a special thanks to the people who left John words of condolence on his Facebook page and also on his blog.  It meant a lot to him and if you are a follower of his writing, I know he would appreciate your thoughts and prayers as he travels and goes through a very difficult time this weekend.

Thanks so much for stopping by!  Your support is always appreciated!
Karen

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Anonymous and anyone else who has been making rude and mean posts and emails - Please be respectful toward our family at this challenging point in time. Your comments, emails and pictures were extremely hurtful and uncalled for. I debated even responding another time, however I am not going to let you make me the victim. I realize you are trying to push buttons and push me to the edge. It is not funny to make fun of rape or suicide. I hope in the future you will make a better choice with your spare time.

    Here are some links:

    http://cyberbullying.us/

    http://www.volunteermatch.org/

    http://www.cyberparent.com/abuse/

    http://www.cyberparent.com/abuse/femalemental.htm

    I will be praying that you will find the strength inside to make this stop and to make positive change in your life / lives.

    To anyone innocently happening in on this comment, I apologize. I've been cyberbullied by a variety of individuals recently and one in particular.

    Happiness and blessings to all -- yes, even you who dislike me. You probably need the blessings even more.

    Karen

    ReplyDelete