Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Going Back to Cali, to Cali, to Cali --- Homecooked Meal, Awesome Hosts

Going back to Cali, to Cali, to Cali...  Going back to Cali.... anyone remember that song?

Hello Aspierations Friends!

Tonight for dinner I enjoyed steak, corn on the cob, baked potatoes, a couple sips of wine and homemade brownies. YUM!!  So delicious!  John was so looking forward to a home-cooked meal (by someone other than himself) that he had two steaks and three baked potatoes.  The boys enjoyed macaroni and cheese, corn and other goodies. 

Even better than the food was the wonderful company of my Mom & Dad.  It has been about a year since we last saw them.  Both have been having various health issues so it was sure a blessing to see them both looking good and happy to see us.  

My Dad will be celebrating his 80th birthday soon and we wanted to make sure that we would be here to spend the day and evening with him and my Mom. 

Since this will be our getaway for 2010, we will be taking the boys to various places in the Bay Area throughout the week, including Marine World tomorrow.  We're all kind of tired from our drive.  I had hoped to log on last night to blog while we were staying in Yreka but we had trouble with the Wi-Fi connection.  Fortunately the hotel we're staying at now does have wireless access and although it is slower than I'm used to, it does work, so you should be seeing me check in periodically and giving you an update on our adventure.  I know many of you out there have been waiting eagerly for my next blog posting, right? :-)

Raise your hand if I'm talking to you!  HI!!! I missed you too! Drop me a line!  Leave a comment in my comments section.  Or just send me a smile from behind your computer.  Send me happy thoughts and well wishes. I'll catch them!   :-) 

As much as it is great to be back in the Silicon Valley, I do not miss Bay Area and Silicon Valley traffic. I do miss the area though and of course, my parents.  A flood of memories washed through me as we drove through each city getting closer and closer to the area where I grew up and spent so much of my life.

I was wondering if I would have a 25 year high school reunion this year and if so, if it might take place while I'm in town, but so far, I haven't heard anything.  I've been blessed with a good memory so I guess I'll recreate my own memories of the past and create new ones in the present.  It isn't like I particularly enjoyed that  much of high school anyway! 

That being said, it will be fun to show the kids around and let them see where I went to school.  We plan to hit Santa Cruz sometime while we're here so I'll show them UCSC and the beautiful campus.  UCSC wasn't particularly a fit for me but it was located in a pretty area and since it's the 25th anniversary of  me starting college there, I figured it was worth a visit.  I may even show them Gilda's and if the Dream Inn is around, they'll have to see that. (It was the hotel I first met my birthmother and two younger sisters.)  :-)

The boys traveled incredibly well.  Hooray for iPods, GPS and car DVD players.  This was our first trip where Ryan was primarily potty-trained so we made more stops than usual but both he and Justin did an amazing job getting along in such a small enclosed space.  It will be interesting seeing how well we'll all do in the hotel room together but hey, it's an adventure!!

Well, everyone around here is tired so I'm going to sign off for now.  We just got done watching America's Got Talent and I promised I would vote for the magician who made the TIGER appear on stage.  AWESOME trick! 

I look forward to seeing tigers tomorrow at Marine World.  We'll be sure to take lots of photos and then upload them after we return back to WA.  If you'd like to see any, just let me know.  I may not give you a choice.  :-)

For my California blog visitors, it's great being back here in the same state with you!  Check in with me in the comments section and say hi!  I'd like to know if any of my blog readers are from the area.  (I have the feeling most are from out of the country!)

Hope you have a wonderful rest of the week!!  :-)
Karen

2 comments:

  1. Have fun! We went to San Francisco on our honeymoon and just loved the area!

    Attaching a link you might find interesting when you find time about an autistic school opening here in Las Vegas next month.

    http://www.8newsnow.com/Global/story.asp?S=12928902

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi June!
    I have a lot of happy memories in San Francisco too, although we didn't get there this go around.

    I used to enjoy Pier 39, art museums, this one place that had great chocolate chip cookies, another that had yummy clam chowder and I had fun at Alcatraz too.

    We just got home earlier today so I haven't checked out your link yet but will tomorrow! :-)

    Thanks for sharing!!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete