Thursday, July 29, 2010

Patience is a Virtue and Worth Striving For Daily - Your thoughts welcome!

Hello everyone!
Thanks for stopping by!

It has been a couple days since I posted and I wanted to drop by and share a few words with you tonight.  Unfortunately, a lot is going on right now that is drawing my attention in other directions so I'll keep tonight's posting short and then share more with you on Friday.

I've been thinking a lot about conflict resolution lately and how patience plays a part in it.  Although I have a tendency to be impulsive and perhaps compulsive as well, I have always been the most patient person in our family of four.  Maybe it's because I'm the only woman, maybe it's part of my personality, maybe it's just that it's harder for the others to be patient.  (By the way, I'm not passing judgment on that being good or bad, just stating it as fact.)

Patience can be defined as the state of endurance under difficult circumstances which can be persevering in the face of delay or provocation without acting on annoyance or anger in a negative way.  Additionally it can be looked at as exhibiting forbearance when under strain, especially when faced with longer-term difficulties.

Patient as I may be in certain circumstances, there are many instances in which I need a lot of work.  For example, I notice that when it's hot, I'm extremely tired or not feeling well, I am less patient.  If I feel defensive or disrespected, I am less patient.  If I am experiencing sensory overload or being bitten by mosquitoes (darn those rotten scoundrels), I am certainly less patient.

All parents require a healthy dose of patience with their children but especially so for those who have children with special needs.  As regular followers of my blog know, I am the mother to a son diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome and a son diagnosed with Autism.  I believe God blessed me with amazing sons and although I often struggle through my own challenges, it is such a gift to have the opportunity to be a Mom, a role model, a friend and to have the chance to teach patience, love and kindness to my boys.

This is without a doubt one of my favorite passages / parts of the Bible.  If I can go through each day putting this into practice successfully, then I'm doing something right and it has been a wonderful day!  I strive for it although it sure isn't easy sometimes! Fortunately each day I have a chance to practice again! Some of the lines are easier to put into practice than others.  Which is your easiest?  Which is your most challenging?

Wouldn't it be nice if everyone focused on practicing these qualities and teaching them to others?  The world would certainly be a better place.  Relationships of all kinds would be more successful.  Many more positive things in this world would be accomplished.

We have a big wall poster in the kids' playroom that says this.  It's much more colorful and I love looking at it. Whenever anyone in our family (adults included) are needing a time-out break, I always encourage this poster to be read, although in the heat of things, that doesn't always work!  (Myself included!)



In Ryan's case, I'll read the poster to him even though he doesn't yet understand a lot of it.  I believe it's never too early to start sharing how important the qualities of love are. 

Did you notice that the very first line is Love is Patient?

On a scale of 1 to 10, how patient would you say you are?  I'd put myself at about a 7.5 overall (which happens to be 2.5 less than 10.  25 blog reference / tangent!)  I am probably more patient with my sons than anyone else.  I am probably least patient with mosquitoes.  I am definitely least patient with myself.

How about you?  Willing to share your thoughts on patience? Any tips on how to calm yourself (or others down) after an impatience incident occurs?  I'd enjoy hearing your comments!  Let me know you're out there, Aspierations friends!

Thanks for stopping by!

Hope you have a great Friday (or whatever day you're reading this!)
Karen

4 comments:

  1. I Like your post tonight.

    Patience is somehing that I can use much more of and will strive for.

    Thanks for being the one to step in at times and try to get things worked out.

    Johnny Cat

    ReplyDelete
  2. One moment of patience may ward off great disaster. One moment of impatience may ruin a whole life.

    Thank you for the food for thought. I definitely can work on being more patient.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post. I want that Love poster! Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so very much for your kind words!

    The Love is Patient poster we have in the playroom is from Carson - Dellosa

    http://www.carsondellosa.com/

    The poster number is CD 6370, 17" x 22" and when I checked tonight, it was $2.25. They have a lot of other neat posters too and a special Christian Education store.

    Thanks so much for stopping by! Hope you'll visit again! :-)

    ReplyDelete