Friday, July 9, 2010

I Want Somebody To Share --- The Rest Is Still Unwritten

Hello everyone!
Today my written voice will soon become music to your ears!  I want to have you get to know a little more about me through song.

Yesterday was my family's 3 Year Anniversary of our move to our home here in Vancouver, WA.  In celebration of that, I had planned to write an empowering, uplifting, reflective blog which shared funny, positive stories about our move and talked about many of the great and amazing experiences we had here in the past 3 years.

That was my intention!  We really have had a lot of amazing positive times here and fortunately, my husband John at Life and Times of John Krejcha captured that in his blog, "3 Years In Vancouver".  (There you can read the kind of thing I had wanted to write.)

Instead, it was late, it was hot, I was tired, I'd had a long day working and had dealt with a long string of meltdowns.  Daresay I may have even been a tad grouchy after a few days of trying to complete some important work for my business and as such, when it became time to blog, what transferred from head to fingers did not turn out the way I had initially expected.  Welcome to my world!  Life is like that a lot of times!

So, if you happened to come across my blog yesterday and read the whole thing, (I edited a lot of new things in today because I kept rereading it and nothing really felt right) AND you still came back here today, THANK YOU!  You're brave, likely a tad masochistic (kidding!!) and welcome back anytime!

This will be a short blog (for me) and then I'll write more later.  I was trying to think what expressed the hopes and dreams I had when I made the move from California to Washington.  What expressed my hopes and dreams when I left a secure career to bowl with the Ladies Pro Bowlers Tour?  What expressed my passions and desires when I decided to get married?  When I wanted to become a Mom?  What inspired me when I wanted to create "Aspierations - Come As You Are, Let Your Light Shine"?

I want to share with you one of my very favorite songs, "Unwritten" by Natasha Bedingfield.  Listen to the words, watch the video and you will know more about me and my optimistic, dream-making, risk-taking hopeful spirit...  (By the way, I used to dance like that too... still do when no-one's around and I can blast the music high!)



Okay, the song above shows my passion and spirit.  It's me....  I listen to it a lot!

Now here are two songs that I discovered and related to after my two sons were diagnosed on the autism spectrum a little over two years ago.  Within a year, I learned an incredible amount about Asperger's Syndrome and high functioning autism and came to the realization and acceptance of my own place as a female member on the spectrum.

The first song is "Calling All Angels" by Train.  I thought about this song a lot after my kiddos were diagnosed.  To be honest, I think about it a lot now.  On days I feel like I need strength or support, it's a great song to listen to and I certainly don't mind calling all angels!  Some days I need all the heavenly help I can get!

The song reminds me of my boys....  and how much I love them... and how much I have faith and hope for a bright future for them with glass ceilings shattered, limits broken, labels redefined!  "I won't give up if you don't give up!"




The next song is "Drops of Jupiter" by Train.  When I heard it, I felt like the song was speaking to me personally.

Although a couple of the lyrics in the song don't quite fit me (like the part about the soy latte), most really do, especially in concept.  I'd be interested to know the story behind the writing of the song since I relate to it so much.  The music, lyrics and video together remind me of my personal journey trying to find my way around the galaxy, navigating the spectrum daily and trying hard to just come as I am and let my light shine without having to wear my "societal norm" mask and pretend I'm someone I'm not.

There are few people in this world in my real life who I have met who accept me for who I am and want to know me for me. That's okay, I don't need a ton, I just need the right ones. The great news is that I feel when I blog that I can put that stuff aside because I'm likely blogging to myself most of the time anyway!  (I wrote a bit about this in a blog on April 10th.  We Speak Different Languages.  Come Visit My Planet Sometime!)




My other favorite song is "Somebody" by Depeche Mode.

This is a romantic and soulmate kind of song.  It's been my favorite song of that kind for almost 25 years.  I went to YouTube and found a version of the song where it showed the lyrics because the lyrics are where it hits home for me.  Maybe I'll share with you my personal cover of the song someday!  :-)



(I don't know exactly what the graphics were going on at the end but what I wanted to show you were the lyrics anyway!  It's such a meaningful song to me.)

I love using music to express my feelings and emotions. In fact, although I've never shared it with you on Aspierations, one of the things I enjoy doing is writing song lyrics. (I find the shower is a fun place to do this! Actually, if I could just find the shower right now, that would be fun too!)  In the past, I've mainly created silly children's songs for the kids but someday I may share some of my more serious stuff too.

If you had a theme song for your life now or at some other point, what would it be?

What do you think of my song choices?

Let me know if you'd like!  :-)

Live your life with arms wide open!
Karen

4 comments:

  1. Karen,

    Thank you so much for sharing this. This is a blog I will come back to over and over again.

    I Love you so much and I like that your life is unwritten. It is the road less traveled.

    Johnny Cat

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are my muse. HOT. Please write the unwritten because woman, I am smitten.

    Check out Wrong Planet. I think you might find a little of what you are looking for.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pat said that the inspiration behind Drops of Jupiter was the recent death of his Mom who had passed away earlier that year. He followed that up saying that the beginning song lyrics actually came to him in a dream.

    I accept that since it is from the artist's mouth but when I personally listen I hear something quite different.

    I am a guy serenading and singing about a former love who appears in my reality on a different astral plane. While I stay on the ground, she travels. It is what she needs to do. I want her back but we are coming at love from the wrong points in time, the wrong planes of existence. The five hour phone conversations are a thing of the past. We connected at some point. I still love her but it is very unlikely we'll be together again because we will no longer travel the same destiny.

    My song is from the Police. You will have to guess which one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi everyone!
    Thanks for your feedback! I hope you watched the videos too, especially for "Unwritten" and "Drops of Jupiter". You may need to watch and listen to them a couple times to catch all the words.

    "Unwritten" I see as my life theme song but you'd better believe I have plenty of stories and adventures to create along the way!

    Devon, that's quite interesting about Pat Monahan. It is a little bizarre now to imagine all of those lyrics relating to his mother. Although his interpretation is obviously the original and right one for him, I think I'll continue the fantasy of my own interpretation and let the music speak to me differently. (It's not like the music police are going to come arrest me for inaccurate perception. If that were the case, I'd be in jail long ago!)

    I truly felt the song as if he was singing it to someone he was in love with from a romantic perspective. Of course you can still love your Mom but "in love" and "love" are quite different. I saw it more as a love song too and really like your interpretation. I can imagine it that way too if I was feeling the song with a man singing the song to me personally. That would be one powerful serenade given the way I feel about being a "traveler" along the spectrum and time.

    Based on the way you interpreted the song, I would speculate you may have had some life experience to draw from!

    Come To My Jupiter, I have heard of WrongPlanet.net (I assume that is what you are referring to) and will be sure to check it out again! Thanks for the kind words!

    CARPE DIEM! :-)
    Karen

    ReplyDelete