Sunday, July 18, 2010

Happy 18th Anniversary to my husband, John! I LOVE YOU!

For those of you out there who aren't into sappy stuff, who think romance is overrated or who aren't in the mood to read a love letter / blog, I invite you check out one of my other blog postings.   :-)



Today, July 18th, 2010 is my 18th Wedding Anniversary with John!  HOORAY!!



(Our engagement photo -- ahh, to look so young again!  
I will add wedding photos in the future after I scan them!)



Right now is just the very beginning of that day as I wanted to wait until just after midnight to start writing.  That way it would be official.  My husband John has been writing these totally sweet, romantic, kind and fun blogs about us the past few days and they have really touched my heart.  Now it's my turn to return the favor.

I wanted to do something incredibly special for him today.  He wrote an amazing poem to me on the 17th, One Day Before Number 18.  I was thrilled, honored, moved to tears, smiling, laughing and crying all at the same time when I read it.  Thank you, John.  Thank you from the bottom of my heart to the top of my head to the back of my behind (which apparently is ever-expanding) to the huge smile you have left on my face!

I do not know what today holds in store for us.  We will be attending church in the morning and then going to the Autism Society of Washington picnic in Vancouver for an early afternoon lunch with the kids.  We hope to meet some other families with children on the spectrum and exchange resources and maybe even make a friend.


In the evening we had hoped for a private "us" date at "The Melting Pot" in Portland but unfortunately at this point that is not in the cards as we have struck out trying to get respite care or babysitting.  I know John is bummed and to be honest, I'm disappointed too but I'm not going to let adversity spoil our special day!  

Remember, John... with adversity comes opportunity.  We have the chance to make this day and evening into something incredibly special.  Quite frankly, we won't need to try hard because I already have the main ingredient in my recipe for marriage and that is you!


I met John on April 9th, 1991 at Fair Oaks West in Sunnyvale, CA.  Although I am most certainly biased, it's a fun story in case you want to check it out.


Our first date was April 10th, 1991 and by May 19th, 1991, John and I were engaged.  The man moves fast.  I mean really really fast.  Not as fast as our 4 year old, but with speed nonetheless!


Although I am a spontaneous gal and have been known to take quite a few risks, when it comes to something like marriage, I was ready to move at a bit slower pace.  Fortunately, John agreed to a longer engagement and 14 months later, we were married at St. Martin of Tours Church in San Jose on July 18th, 1992.

Our wedding reception was held in the Champagne Room at the Sunnyvale Hilton.  They had a great duck pond outside.



Our wedding itself was an interesting evening.  I would say that in many cases it was a comedy of errors, in many ways not unlike our marriage.  Perhaps the reason for all the snafus, delays and interruptions were as a way to prepare us in our marriage for the road less traveled ahead.  John was 23, I was 24.  We thought we knew so much and yet really, so much of our lives were ahead of us.  There was no way we could have or would have been prepared for the roller coaster journey that was to come.

John, we've taken many thrill rides together.  We've climbed, climbed, climbed our little engine up those big hills, raced downwards, twisting and turning and screaming and wondering what on earth (or in my case, the galaxy), we had gotten ourselves into.  Although we wanted the ride to end, at times, it felt like at least we could have used some brakes to slow the thing down so we could catch our bearings.


Marriage is not meant to be easy but loving you... that is easy!

You have so many amazing qualities that embody what I was looking for in a husband and life partner. 

In no particular order:

Funny - Kind - Obedient (yeah, LOL, who am I kidding) - Handsome - Sexy - Witty - Amazing Father - Understanding - Forgiving - Compassionate - Bright - Best Friend - Silly - Honorable - Hardworking - There for me when I was Sick (multiple times) - Talented - Fun - Reverent - Warm - Cuddly - Sweet - Romantic

and that's just the beginning...

After going through a very hard time in my life, you taught me that it was okay to love again.
It was okay to let go.... I didn't have to be a victim anymore.

You accepted me unconditionally and I can't thank you enough for that gift.  It is the best gift other than our children that I could ever hope to receive from a best friend and life partner. 

I know I am not an easy person to "get" and I have enough emotion inside to fill up many oceans.  I am sure that I can be overwhelming.  I know that I oftentimes don't get you either and it has to be frustrating.

But I think in the times that count the most, we really do connect.  If I have trouble showing it, I am very sorry.  I want to show you that every day, I appreciate what you do for me and for the boys. 

I was going to write a special poem too but I think in this case, my love note here will be my expression and declaration of love.  

I am so happy and lucky to be married to you.  You give me security when I am scared.  You like my sense of humor and actually get most of my jokes!  You helped me through many very difficult and tough situations.  

You are such a fantastic, loving and caring Father to Justin and Ryan.  You know what's sexy?  Seeing a man be a great Dad.  And you my dear, are a very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very great Dad!  

I love you, John!  

I also love the number 18!  It ties with 25 as my favorite number of all time.  You know what's so cool about 18 other than the fact it's our anniversary day and the number of years we've been married?

First you have the one... a man and a woman, united as 1 couple.   Then if you take the 8 on its side, you have the infinity symbol.  One couple to infinity, eternity and beyond!



18 years may be truly impressive but remember, the rest is still unwritten!

Thank you so much for asking me to marry you, John.  You have truly given me some of the very best years of my life and two of the best kids one could ever hope for.


Now let's go make this day and evening count!
Love you!
Karen







3 comments:

  1. Well done guys! 18 years in this day and age is something to be really proud of.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful gift of love you both share! Keep on Rockin'!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much, Gavin and June! :-)

    ReplyDelete