Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Some Days Things Just Don't Go As Planned

Hello!

Today I had planned to post about how our oldest son's IEP meeting went at his elementary school.  However in life things often do not go as planned and our youngest son came down sick late last night.

When we had come home from the "What You Need To Know About IEPs" meeting, Ryan had a bit of a runny nose but within a few hours, he was coughing and after going to bed, he got up multiple times throughout the night.  Today, he was achy, tired and not his little chipper self.  

As John and I believe it's important for both parents to attend IEP meetings, we ended up doing a last minute apology and cancellation since we kept Ryan home from school.  I sent a friendly email asking for a reschedule and John made a phone call and hopefully we'll hear something back from the school soon.

So today didn't go as planned.  Our little one has been sleeping off and on since early evening and his illness as escalated to the flu.  I have the feeling it's going to be another upside down night.  It's part of being a parent.

On the positive side, we did get Justin and Ryan signed up through the Parks & Rec department for swim lessons in May and June.  They both really enjoy the water and as the classes are only a couple times a week, we thought it would fit easily within their schedule and ours while teaching an important life skill.

On an unrelated note, our family has been watching American Idol since the 2nd season.  For the past few years or so, they've done an annual American Idol Gives Back show where various artists perform for a two hour period and the show promotes the very special Idol Gives Back Foundation

The Idol Gives Back Foundation is a not-for-profit 501(c)(3) organization established by the producers of American Idol and FOX to raise money and awareness to serve children and their families in need throughout the U.S. and the rest of the world. The Idol Gives Back Foundation is harnessing American Idol's ability to capture America's hearts and the power of entertainment to benefit some of the poorest and most vulnerable people in the world.

No matter what people think of American Idol and reality shows in general, the incredible success of American Idol has brought a wonderful opportunity for giving and charity throughout America and reaching throughout the world.

Many of the stories shown brought tears to my eyes.  John and I were both very touched by the challenges and adversity that so many around the world experience.

Some would say that having two children on the autism spectrum is a big challenge.  Many days it is and so many do not really understand what we go through unless they go through a similar situation themselves.  That being said, our challenges and struggles are NOTHING at all like what so many people around the world with poverty, life-threatening illness and more severe disabilities have to go through. 

Our family lives in an amazing country, we have a loving family (both immediate and extended), we have a roof over our head in a safe neighborhood and a beautiful state.  We have clothes, we have food, we have educational opportunities.  We have the skills and talents God has blessed us with.  We are very lucky and blessed indeed!  We have challenges like everyone does and hopefully through adversity, we'll learn to grow stronger.  Oh sure, I'll have my pity party days because you know, even adults meltdown too.  Hopefully, I learn something from it but if not, hopefully the next time it happens, I can deal with it better!

Yes, our family is thankful, we are blessed and so are our boys.  When I look at them, I see opportunities, I see promise, I see potential, I see hope. 

Shows like Idol Gives Back that remind me just how blessed my family and I truly am help light a fire under my bottom to make sure that my priorities are aligned and that I remember to serve my family, God, my community and help others using the gifts and talents God blessed me with.

Earlier this year, I felt a calling from God to do this through my writing and through Aspierations.  I am working on taking that now to the next level and look forward to sharing with you how I'm going to do that along the way!

Until next blog....
Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment