Friday, April 16, 2010

My Brother, A poem by Justin K. - Creativity & The Computer

Tonight before I started typing my blog, I had the opportunity to spend time engaging in Justin and Ryan's world. 

Earlier this afternoon, I walked Ryan to the park and we counted, talked about cars and played on the slide together.  (I'm sorry I didn't have a photo of me going down the curly-q slide to post.  I'm sure it would have been a classic!)

It's fun to hang out with my boys and I am so very proud of both of them.  How blessed I am to be the mother of two such incredible boys with so many gifts to share! 



As Justin was showing me a Powerpoint presentation that he had created, I took a step back and marveled at how he had used his creativity to create a slideshow which incorporated music, graphics, icons, and fake error messages that he thought it was hilarious to insert. Given the fact that his presentation incorporated error and hacking type pranks, I was reminded of a young Matthew Broderick in the classic 1983 movie, War Games.  Not wanting the FBI to visit our house until he is at least 17 (inside joke), Justin has been kindly reminded to use his computer skills for good and not evil!

As I look at him now sitting at his computer desk with headphones on listening to a music remix of Microsoft Windows error message sounds (no kidding), I am thankful for a few reasons.

The first reason I am thankful is that because Justin has headphones, I do not have to be personally listening to the Windows error music remix as it would surely drive me bonkers!  The second reason is that Justin is able to incorporate his special interest of the computer and technology into so many areas of his life and it is helping him with his learning and his creativity.!  The third reason is that being on the computer makes JUSTIN happy!

***************************************

When Justin was 9 years old and in the 4th grade, he was given the assignment of writing a poem about a member of his family.  He decided to choose his younger brother, Ryan who at the time was about 2 1/2.

His teacher loved the poem and so did we.  It was such a sweet and loving tribute to his brother and quite insightful and accurate the way he perceived Ryan to be.  It isn't always easy being the older brother of a younger brother on the autism spectrum, especially if you happen to have Asperger's yourself.

What this poem shows me and what I wanted to share with my Aspierations blog readers during Autism Awareness month is that brotherly love and quality relationships among siblings can take place among spectrum children.  I am so proud of Justin for writing this poem.  I hope you enjoy it!



My Brother
by Justin K.

I see my brother everyday,
Even when I play.
He is as fun as a good video game.

Ryan is as mischievous as a clown,
Sometimes he just doesn't go down.

I like him as much as a close friend,
Even though he doesn't go with the trend.

I play with him everyday,
Because I love him as much as the world.
My brother is an awesome boy!

copyright 2009 by Justin K.


No comments:

Post a Comment