Thursday, April 1, 2010

April is Autism Awareness Month - Let's show our ASPIERATIONS

As I start to write this blog, it's 11:51 p.m. PST, March 31st.  By the time I finish, it will be April here in Washington state.

April is the start of Autism Awareness Month and I will be blogging every day this month at http://www.aspierations.blogspot.com/ with stories from the heart about Autism, Asperger's Syndrome and the impact it has had on the lives of my boys, myself, my husband John and our extended family.  April is going to be an amazing and inspirational month!

I invite you to follow my blog and come back regularly.  Aspierations is really going to grow in April and I invite you to be part of the process by posting your comments, suggesting ideas for stories and spreading the word about Autism Awareness!

For those who are visiting my blog for the first time, my name is Karen Krejcha.  I am the Mom of two inspiring boys, Justin (10) and Ryan (3) who are both diagnosed as being on the autism spectrum.  Justin has a diagnosis of Asperger's Syndrome (a higher functioning form of Autism) and Ryan has a diagnosis of Autism.  Our boys were diagnosed in 2008 and it has been a whirlwind ride the past couple of years. 

I am also on the autism spectrum with Asperger's Syndrome, although I did not come to this realization and acceptance until 2009. 

I invite you to read some of my earlier popular blog postings:

Before I knew was an Aspie, My Puzzle Piece Never Fit

One Aspie Mom's Thoughts and Aspierations on Acceptance and Empowerment for those with Autism Spectrum Disorder

A Typical Dinner with 3 Picky Eaters On The Autism Spectrum



March was a really hard month for me emotionally, physically, financially and sadly, spiritually.  I will go more into this later as I feel it will be therapeutic and empowering.  I tend to get into one of those ruts where if I'm not going to blog something positive about Autism or Asperger's, I think maybe I just shouldn't write at all because I don't want my family and friends to read my negativity or depression.   I think maybe I would not have had as big a deal with this if I had not named my blog, ASPIErations ...  Naturally, I want my blog to be a source of inspiration, motivation, courage and support. 

Then I started thinking... (dangerous, I know).  Not only did I name my blog, Aspierations but I included afterwards, "Come As You Are --- Let Your Light Shine".

I need to remember that this applies to me as well.  No matter if I'm happy or sad, stressed out, confused or having the time of my life, I need to come to this blog as who I am now... in the present... and accept that.  Practicing unconditional love and acceptance with my kids and husband seems to be a whole lot easier than doing it with myself.

Anyway, for those who thought I dropped off the face of the earth, the earth is round.  That just wouldn't happen! 

I'm back and look forward to sharing my Aspierations with you and hearing yours as well!

Please Remember to wear blue on Friday, April 2nd for World Autism Awareness Day! 
Shine Your Light Blue for Autism



Always remember, no matter who you are, where you are, you are are welcome here!

At Aspierations, you can Come As You Are, Let Your Light Shine

With love, respect and high ASPIErations,
Karen

Proud Mommy of 2 on the Autism Spectrum
Proud Adult Woman with Autism / Asperger's Syndrome

2 comments:

  1. I will be wearing my blue for World Autism Awareness Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. COME AS YOU ARE, LET YOUR LIGHT SHINE!

    I really like that!

    God Bless

    ReplyDelete