Thursday, February 11, 2010

Aspie Quiz Online - My results as a woman with Asperger's Syndrome

In my quest to learn more about myself, my children, autism and Asperger's Syndrome, I was spending some time on Google and came across a site called Aspie Quiz.

The goal of this test is to give a reliable indication of autism spectrum traits in adults. It is not to be used as an official diagnostic tool but certainly those that score high on the Asperger's / Aspie side might do well in seeking a professional diagnosis. At the very least, there may be some other comorbidities going on. In my test there were 145 questions.

Being curious, I took the test and I wanted to share my results here.  I am also doing this because there are still those in my "inner circle" who are having a very hard time believing that I am on the autism spectrum or have Asperger's Syndrome.  I tend to "mask" well when needed and although I may appear "high-functioning" (for whatever that is worth), the reality behind closed doors includes challenges in daily living of a very complex level.

For those like myself who enjoy graphs and pictures, here is a visual representation of my results:



My Aspie Score was 158 of 200
My Neurotypical / Non-Autistic Score was 64 of 200
My Results: You are very likely an Aspie

Aspie Talent - 9.5 out of 10  (High score is related to giftedness)
Neurotypical Talent - 4.2 out of 10
Aspie Compulsion - 9.8 out of 10 (High score is related to OCD)
Neurotypical Compulsion - 2.0 out of 10
Aspie Social - 9.5 out of 10 (High score is related to ADD/ADHD, Bipolar and ODD)
Neurotypical Social - 1.1 out of 10
Aspie Communication - 4.8 out of 10
Neurotypical Communication - 2.1 of 10
Aspie Hunting - 3.9 out of 10
Neurotypical Hunting - 4.0 out of 10
Aspie Perception - 9.4 out of 10
Neurotypical Perception - 2.7 out of 10
Environment: 8.9 out of 10

I asked my husband to take the test as well.  His chart looked almost the opposite of mine. 

I would be interested to see the scores of family, friends, acquaintances and other fellow spectrum travelers. Please note that the test is for adults and not for children.

If you want to take the test, the link is here.  There is some smiley face assessment before the real test that appears to be unrelated but the actual test itself is 145 questions, so allow about 15 minutes or so to answer.

If you take the test and feel free sharing with me, just let me know!
Karen

3 comments:

  1. I'm curious how you are going about getting a diagnosis for yourself. Resources for aspie adults seem few and far between.

    Thanks for posting the quiz. I got a higher score than you. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jake!
    Thanks for your note. You beat my score? The competitor in me thinks maybe I should try again! :-)

    I am personally going through the diagnosis process through Kaiser Permanente in SW Washington and Portland, OR. I've been a Kaiser member for many years and since Kaiser pediatric doctors initially diagnosed my two sons, it made sense for me to go back to Kaiser for my own diagnosis.

    The process for adult diagnosis requires more hoop-jumping than it did for my kids. I met initially with my primary care physician explaining that I had two boys on the spectrum and that I had done a lot of research on AS and wanted to obtain an evaluation and formal diagnosis. Incidentally, I brought a copy of the Aspie test with me because I figured it certainly couldn't hurt. Because my PCP wasn't qualified to make a diagnosis, he referred me on to the mental health division where I'm currently awaiting my appointment.

    Here are a couple links to resources I have found helpful for Aspie adults.

    http://www.grasp.org/

    http://autismwomensnetwork.org/

    Hope this helps! :-)
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did the test a few years ago and would be happy to give you the results. I am living in Portland, OR also and would like to get a diagnosis. I have tried this before using my health insurance without success. Suppose I will have to pay out-of-pocket. Curious if you are happy with your mental health provider at Kaiser and if they would take a cash payer.

    ReplyDelete