Saturday, January 16, 2010

Welcome to the Aspierations Blog

Come As You Are ...
    Let Your Light Shine ...

Hi!  My name is Karen and I welcome you to the Aspierations blog!  I am the loving Mommy of two amazing sons on the autism spectrum and the wife to one patient and caring man, John.  He's neurotypical (not on the spectrum) but in this household, that means he's the one that is atypical!

Our oldest son, Justin (10) has Asperger's Syndrome and our youngest son, Ryan (3) has autism.  Both kiddos were diagnosed a month apart in mid 2008.  I will be officially diagnosed as an Aspie in 2010 and I came to the realization of my Aspieness back in 2009 when our family attended the Autism Society of America conference in St. Charles, IL.  (More on all that later!!!)

Although there are a lot of amazing people online and in the physical world talking about Autism & Asperger's (many of them female bloggers), I think it's important that there be even more positive female Aspie role models that speak to the Asperger's / Autism community and the world at large about what it is like to:

A) be on the spectrum (including glimpses, challenges and triumphs of the past, anecdotes from the present and desires for the future)

and

B) simultaneously parent children on the autism spectrum who have their own special needs (often conflicting with other family members), dreams and aspirations

Although I have my quirks and idiosyncrasies (such as the need to edit this first posting a gazillion and one times because it wasn't "just right"), I have been blessed with many gifts and talents as well.  Does that mean my life is a piece of cake?  No way!  Does it mean I'm feeling sorry for myself about it?  No way! (Well, sometimes... I am human, after all!)

My hope is that my blog will help inspire, motivate and empower my fellow journey travelers to come as they are wherever they are this point in time and to let their light shine and know that although they may often feel alone, there are others out there who can relate to what they might be going through.  I will try to be a positive and uplifting voice but an honest one as well.  I find looking at my life with humor and laughter is a lot more empowering than grouching and complaining, although you may see me do that too just to mix things up a bit and see if anyone out there is paying attention. 

If you are a parent, relative, caregiver, teacher or friend to someone on the spectrum or like me, you are on the spectrum yourself, please stick around!  I will be blogging frequently about my journey (past and present) and sharing anecdotes, resources, humor (yes, we Aspies do have that), musings and contemplations.

I look forward to sharing with you and maybe getting to know you as well...   Please feel free to leave me a witticism, feedback or musing in the comments section of my blog postings but if you don't, that's cool too!

Thanks for stopping by!
Karen

4 comments:

  1. Hi. You'll soon come to realise that there are many positive female Aspie role models 'out there'. You'll find a few on my blog roll and on my twitter list. Welcome and keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi DJ!
    Thanks so much for your comment and welcome. Truly that is exciting to hear. I look forward to checking out your blog roll & twitter list! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Karen, thanks for stopping by my blog. I look forward to reading more about your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Danette,
    Thanks so much for stopping by my blog too! I really appreciate it. :-)

    ReplyDelete